Sunday, August 03, 2014

Thursdays

We have fun Thursdays in Umatilla.  There is a park that is only a block from our house that is doing free breakfasts and lunches everyday.  And on Thursday there is also some learning stations for the kids.


We go for breakfast lots of times because there is always cereal for Whitney.  She has never tried anything else.  Rachel is starting to branch out a little bit and has tried a few of the different things that are served.


Megan is technically not one and doesn't get a breakfast.  But my kids never finish their food, so I don't mind sharing with her.  Megan was not too impressed with the french toast.


And then comes the playing.  Head start sets up several stations with different kinds of toys that encourage learning.  This station is my kids' favorite one.  There is food and little babies to be fed.


The 'neighborhood' station.  I like the different buildings that would be seen around a neighborhood.  I have never seen a set like this before and I think it is pretty cool.  Whitney and I played drop the people off the mechanic's shop and then take them to the hospital.  A little morbid, but she liked it.


This station has puzzles that help with learning rhymes or shapes or whatnot.  My kids don't even know they are learning.  I wish I knew where they got some of the toys.  Maybe I will ask.  There are other stations too that we go to sometimes, but I didn't get any pictures of - music, books, art.  


At the end, each kid gets a snack and gets to pick a book.  We have to rush home and read them right away.  So it is a really neat program and we have gotten quite a few free books over this summer.


Obviously, not from the park.  But here are some pictures of the cute kids.  Whitney loves dressing up like a superhero and has told me that she is going to be one for Halloween.


Rachel got this juggle bubble toy from the summer reading program party.  You wear these special gloves that help you catch bubbles.  It was a bit of a challenge for the kids to not just get super excited to pop the bubbles right away.  Maybe we will put this toy away and wait until they are a little bit older.


And Megan looking all cute in her overalls.  She is a pretty happy camper most of the time.

No comments: